Friday, December 19, 2008
The past year we have seen sales decline at the store. The summer was particularly slow. We hoped to make it through the Holidays and see how sales reacted to a new President, the High School opening and gas prices remaining low.
However it is not to be. After meeting with our attorney today and speaking with our management company we were assured there would be no bailout, no compassion and no aide for us. So at 2pm we sent out the notice and put up signs.
The entire store is now up for liquidation. We will be closing our doors forever before the end of January.
I am going to miss the friends I have made, hanging out scapbooking, the community! I often joke that West Sacramento is like Mayberry meets Days of Our Lives. Everyone knows everyone, drama is constant. The community pulls together when good friends suffer from cancer, spouses lose jobs, families take in foster kids.
As I fail for the 1st time in my life I take with me the knowledge of all I have learned and the experiences I have had. I look forward the changes to come.
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
There is no communication. No opportunity to say what you feel without everyone being brought in and things getting blown out of proportion.
It hurts that what could be isn't. There could be large family gatherings, cousins having sleepovers, exchanging emails and phone calls. There could be fun, collaboration of ideas, sharing of talents. Instead it is each family out for themselves.
So now I will join the ranks of others and leave my family of birth and create a family of choice. A good friend told me the best families are the ones who choose to be together.
Thursday, November 13, 2008
I was placing an order yesterday and saw that there was a place to put in a coupon code. I notice those at most online sites and feel quite sad that I am rarely ever able to put anything in that box. It is as if someone is waving a coupon or sale in my face while telling me I can't partake in it. So I decided to try something. I put the websites name (can't say what it is because it was for a Christmas present!) then the words coupon code. Wham!!! Up came several websites listing online coupon codes.
The particular site I was using let me put in more than one! I was able to get FREE shipping plus $10 off my purchase. I also got 25% off everything after the first regular priced item. I saved over $40! I was way excited.
So today I had to order a new glass top to our range. The other cracked due to a child's accident and our home warranty wouldn't cover it. The repair man told me it would cost $275 for the part and $80-100 for labor. OUCH! So I decided to look up the part on Sears. I could get the part there for $212 so I put in my cart and on my check out what do I see? A box saying enter coupon code here. So off I google. I found a code that got me 10% off. Yeah! I saved over $20. I am so excited. Sears only let me put in 1 code, but that is OK.
I promptly forbid Aaron to ever to order anything online without googling coupon codes first. :)
Monday, November 10, 2008
Friday, October 31, 2008
Sunday, October 19, 2008
Until then I have updated my resume, written a cover letter and applied at an average of 3 places a day.
Wish me luck!
Thursday, October 9, 2008
So in order to help out I am going to get a second job. I have sent in several resumes. The last interview I had was a few weeks ago for a local pumpkin patch. I got stood up! The owner didn't show and I never got a call back about my application. It was kind of funny in a sad depressing sort of way.
Tomorrow I have another interview for an administration assistant for a local medical company. I am nervous and excited. I am not sure how I will juggle one more thing. I am anxious as to how Sarah will react to me leaving her with most of the day to day duties at the store. I am not sure what I will do when the kids are off school, daycare, get sick, or have field trips.
I am also very excited. I would love to have regular hours, a steady paycheck and a chance to grow.
Wish me luck!
Saturday, October 4, 2008
Then my sister Starr gave birth to her 5th child and first boy this last Thursday. They named him Taitte. Not sure where that name came from but it is growing on me.
I just want to say that all my brothers and sisters and their spouses are such great parents. I am so proud to have so many wonderful examples in my family. I wish we all lived closer so I could see my 18 nieces and nephews more often.
Sunday, September 21, 2008
I have been taking a digital photography class this semester at college. I have always loved photography, thus my passion for scrapbooking. I got a nice digital SLR a Nikon D50 almost 2 years ago and have never figured out how to take pictures when it was off automatic. In the last month I have taken my camera off auto and taken some successful pictures!
Sunday, September 7, 2008
Wednesday, September 3, 2008
Tip: When making a to do list: If you do things in the day that were not on the list just add them to the list and cross it off! LOL (ok I really have done this!)
Take a look and do what Robyn has done and make it your own...add one that is not on the list! To make this your own!
Here we present a list. Highlight those tasks that you have accomplished in your life.
01. Bought everyone in the bar a drink
02. Swam with wild dolphins
03. Climbed a mountain
04. Taken a Ferrari for a test drive
05. Been inside the Great Pyramid
06. Held a tarantula
07. Taken a candlelit bath with someone
08. Said “I love you” and meant it
09. Hugged a tree
10. Bungee jumped
11. Visited Paris
12. Watched a lightning storm at sea
13. Stayed up all night long and saw the sun rise
14. Seen the Northern Lights
15. Gone to a huge sports game
16. Walked the stairs to the top of the leaning Tower of Pisa
17. Grown and eaten your own vegetables
18. Touched an iceberg
19. Slept under the stars
20. Changed a baby’s nappy
21. Taken a trip in a hot air balloon
22. Watched a meteor shower
23. Gotten tipsy on champagne
24. Given more than you can afford to charity
25. Looked up at the night sky through a telescope
26. Had an uncontrollable giggling fit at the worst possible moment
28. Bet on a winning horse
29. Asked out a stranger
30. Had a snowball fight
31. Screamed as loudly as you possibly can
32. Held a lamb
33. Seen a total eclipse of both the sun and moon
34. Ridden a roller coaster
35. Hit a home run
36. Danced like a fool and not cared who was looking
37. Adopted an accent for an entire day
38. Actually felt happy about your life, even for just a moment
39. Had two hard drives for your computer
40. Visited all 50 states
41. Taken care of someone who was drunk
42. Had/Have amazing friends
43. Danced with a stranger in a foreign country
44. Watched whales
45. Stolen a sign
46. Backpacked in Europe
47. Taken a road-trip
48. Gone rock climbing
49. Midnight walk on the beach
50. Gone sky diving
51. Visited Ireland
52. Been heartbroken longer than you were actually in love
53. In a restaurant, sat at a stranger’s table and had a meal with them
54. Visited Japan
55. Milked a cow
56. Alphabetized your CDs
57. Pretended to be a superhero
58. Sung karaoke
59. Lounged around in bed all day
60. Played touch football
61. Gone scuba diving
62. Kissed in the rain
63. Played in the mud
64. Played in the rain
65. Gone to a drive-in theater
66. Visited the Great Wall of China
67. Started a business
68. Fallen in love and not had your heart broken
69. Toured ancient sites
70. Taken a martial arts class
71. Played D&D for more than 6 hours straight
72. Gotten married
73. Been in a movie
74. Crashed a party
75. Gotten divorced
76. Gone without food for 5 days
77. Made cookies from scratch
78. Won first prize in a costume contest
79. Ridden a gondola in Venice
80. Gotten a tattoo
81. Rafted a river
82. Been on television news programs as an “expert”
83. Gotten flowers for no reason
84. Performed on stage
85. Been to Las Vegas
86. Recorded music
87. Eaten shark
88. Kissed on the first date
89. Gone to Thailand
90. Bought a house
91. Been in a combat zone
92. Buried one/both of your parents
93. Been on a cruise ship
94. Spoken more than one language fluently
95. Performed in a Rocky Horror Picture Show
96. Raised children
97. Followed your favorite band/singer on tour
98. Passed out cold
99. Taken an exotic bicycle tour in a foreign country
100. Picked up and moved to another city to just start over
101. Walked the Golden Gate Bridge
102. Sang loudly in the car, and didn’t stop when you knew someone was looking
103. Had plastic surgery
104. Survived an accident that you shouldn’t have survived
105. Wrote articles for a large publication
106. Lost over 100 pounds
107. Held someone while they were having a flashback
108. Piloted an airplane
109. Touched a stingray
110. Broken someone’s heart
111. Helped an animal give birth
112. Won money on a TV game show
113. Broken a bone
114. Gone on an African photo safari
115. Had a facial part pierced other than your ears
116. Fired a rifle, shotgun, or pistol
117. Eaten mushrooms that were gathered in the wild
118. Ridden a horse
119. Had major surgery
120. Had a snake as a pet
121. Hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon
122. Slept 30 hours in a 48 hour time frame
123. Visited more foreign countries than U.S. states
124. Visited all 7 continents
125. Taken a canoe trip that lasted more than 2 days
126. Eaten kangaroo meat
127. Eaten sushi
128. Had your picture in the newspaper
129. Changed someone’s mind about something you care deeply about
130. Gone back to school
132. touched a cockroach
133. Eaten fried green tomatoes
134. Read “The Iliad”
135. Selected one “important” author who you missed in school, and read
136. Killed and prepared an animal for eating
137. Skipped all your school reunions
138. Communicated with someone without sharing a common spoken language
139. Been elected to public office
140. Written your own computer language
141. Thought to yourself that you’re living your dream
142. Had to put someone you love into hospice care
143. Built your own PC from parts
144. Sold your own artwork to someone who didn’t know you
145. Had a booth at a street fair
146. Dyed your hair
147. Been a DJ
148. Shaved your head
149. Caused a car accident
150. Saved someone’s life
151. Have organized a HUGE event!
and my own
152. Slept in your car.
Tuesday, September 2, 2008
Friday, August 29, 2008
Yes, 3 Grandmothers.
2. When was the last time you cried?
Last night. Aaron left for the weekend and we were having a heart 2 heart!
3. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING?
I don't dislike it.
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT?
5. DO YOU HAVE KIDS?
6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU?
7. DO YOU USE SARCASM A LOT?
No way, not me!
8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS?
9. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP?
Absolutely, wanna come?
10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL?
Special K red berries
11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF?
I try not to wear shoes that require laces, but when I go walking I untie them half the time.
12. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG?
13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM?
Butterfinger, Cherry Garcia, Chocolate PB
14. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE?
15. RED OR PINK?
16. WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVORITE THING YOU LIKE ABOUT YOURSELF?
17. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST?
18. DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO SEND THIS BACK TO YOU?
I would love everyone to respond
19. WHAT COLOR PANTS AND SHOES ARE YOU WEARING?
Black slacks and black sandals
20. WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU ATE?
A bowl of Special K red berries
21. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
Y92.5 and Sarah talking with the President of her sons football league
22. IF YOU WHERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE?
23. FAVORITE SMELLS?
Brownies baking, vanilla candles
24. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO?
25. DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU?
of course! I got this from Cora's blog!
26. FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH?
I only watch soccer when my girls are playing
27. HAIR COLOR?
Natural or currently?
28. EYE COLOR?
29. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS?
30. FAVORITE FOOD?
Steak and twice baked potatoes with Nuggett brownies for desert
31. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS?
Happy. I am a sap.
32. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED?
An unfinished Life
33. WHAT COLOR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING?
34. SUMMER OR WINTER?
Do I have a choice?
35. HUGS OR KISSES?
36. FAVORITE DESSERT
37. MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND?
38. LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND
39. WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING
Digital Photography 302 (school just started)
40. WHAT IS ON YOUR MOUSE PAD?
Do people still use mouse pads?
41. WHAT DID YOU WATCH ON T. V. LAST NIGHT?
I didn't watch tv
42. FAVORITE SOUND
43. ROLLING STONES OR BEATLES?
44. WHAT IS THE FURTHEST YOU HAVE BEEN FROM HOME
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
45. DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT
I can do anything! Raise 6 kids, work, clean house, etc
46. WHERE WERE YOU BORN?
47. WHOSE ANSWERS ARE YOU LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING BACK
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
On the bright side this gives him the opportunity to sport some really cool band aids!
Monday, August 18, 2008
Being a photographer at heart and a scrapbooker by profession it only seemed fitting that we have a photo op during the party. We had our guest use provided props to pose for a month of the year. Then we are going to compile the pictures into a calendar for each guest. We had some great pictures. I will share some of them later.
I was a lucky girl. Kim made me a small sign in book that the guests could sign or write a nice message. In addition to this gorgeous hair (Liz paid for me to get my hair colored and cut).
She also made the cake and other goodies for the party and even got me a gift card to Starbucks. Cora and Patricia gave me a gift card to Panda Express and Linda and Tiffany gave me a gift card to Target. I am all set for a while! Thanks ladies.
The most awesome thing was the book they made us. Sarah and I each got our own 8x8 book. Robyn, Adrien, Robin, Dorothy, Liz, Frannie and Shelly put together the funniest book titled 'A day in the life of a Scrapbooker'. It was hilarious. They each did a spoof on an addiction. Then using scrapbooking supplies they created a scene and photographed and scrapbooked it. It is the best thing! I love it!
Saturday was my actual birthday. I got to go to the movies with my Mother in law and Sister in law. We saw Mama Mia.It was very cute. I didn't realize it would be so silly. There were lots of funny, lighthearted moments. It had an adult theme but was not deep.
After the movie the 3 of us stopped for ice cream. I at a yummy sundae.
Later that night (after a short nap) DH and I went out for dinner. I have been wanting to go to the Melting Pot for at least 3 years. Last week I got an email for a free chocolate fondue for my birthday. So I called and made reservations.
We had a great night. Who doesn't like dipping in their food in hot gooey cheese or chocolate?! The spinach, artichoke cheese dip was delicious and the flaming turtle chocolate oh so decadent.
Sunday was my icing. Sarah and I went with Liz and Jen to the Daughtry concert. I think it needs its own post but let me just say it was a day to remember.
Friday, August 15, 2008
this is what we get to do http://www.daughtryvipexperience.com/
Did I mention we get to see, meet, hug Chris Daughtry?
Thanks Sarah and hubby!
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Here are the simple rules: Google "your name needs" and describe the first ten results.
1. Helen needs your immediate attention. (Is this refering to my selfish ways? hmm)
2. Helen needs your help. (I am sure this is true)
3. Helen needs to be put out to pasture.
4. Helen needs stem cell therapy. (Am I sick?)
5. Helen needs dependable salaries.
6. Helen needs an attorny who can help file a trademark for her new business.
7. Helen needs a cookie. (Yep, a chocolate chunk with nuts)
8. Helen needs cooling down after opening her hunky-man calendar. (Don't tell DH!)
9. Helen needs to follow order to develope balance, greater awareness, and wholeness.
10. Helen needs a loan of $1,200 to buy more wrappers and jewelry to sell.
Friday night a group of us had fun looking up friends and coworkers names. I am not sure if I am easily amused or if it was because it was rather late at night, but I was laughing so hard I had tears. Mine were not nearly as funny as some others. Try your name and see what you come up with.
Thursday, August 7, 2008
I picked up the foreign exchange student from the airport yesterday. Today as we are driving to go look at her school I asked her if she needed to purchase some clothing for school. She only brought one medium sized bag with her so I figured she was planning on buying some things here so she could fit in. She told me her mom had told her not to bring much because Americans wear baggy clothes. She commented that she hadn't yet seen anyone dressed in baggy clothing. I guess hip-hop and R&B are very popular there.
I laughed that they thought the entire American nation dressed alike in baggy shirts and sagging pants!
I have a feeling we will have several more of these moments over the next few weeks.
Oh, she also wanted to know if even girls wore back packs at school. I told her of course, everyone has to carry their books. She said in her country the girls only have small books and the boys carry their books for them. She won't be seeing much of that here! LOL
Monday, August 4, 2008
We are having a guest. Guests mean clean the house.
This guest is a little unusual. Through some rather strange circumstances we agreed to host a foreign exchange student for the school year. We found out last Thursday and she arrives on Wednesday. She is a 17 year old senior from Kyrgyzstan.
We have been frantically moving girls rooms around (all of them chose to go to a different room). After cleaning out over 8 large bags of garbage from under beds, behind dressers and bottom of closets and getting rid of unread books, unplayed with toys and old clothes I then had to deep clean. I wiped down walls, vacuumed floors and finally painted the spare bedroom.
We had fun shopping and getting the girls room ready. We painted the walls tan and bought a matching bed set that is blue with stripes. The room is finally complete with new garbage can, 50 matching hangers, towel set and laundry hamper.
I love any excuse to spruce up the house and do a deep clean. This has been great to go through the kids things I am limiting them to 5 toys, 1 shelf of books, 1 box under the bed of misc 'treasures', and 10 days worth of clothes.
We are almost ready. Now I am planning a few outings. What must she see to appreciate the USA?
Monday, July 14, 2008
We stayed at Lake Almanor for a week with my DH's family. Aside from the smoke it was a nice vacation.
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
After we were thouroughly soaked and had gotten all the pictures our cameras could hold. (I took over 50 just of the gator) We went and tried gator. It was good!
We had fun being tourists. We each got a shirt with a gator that says Bite Me. The boys each got hats. Fun day!