Thursday, August 7, 2008

Misconceptions

Isn't funny the perceptions we have of other people and places. For instance all southerners talk with an accent, Californians are surfers, New Yorkers talk slow, etc.

I picked up the foreign exchange student from the airport yesterday. Today as we are driving to go look at her school I asked her if she needed to purchase some clothing for school. She only brought one medium sized bag with her so I figured she was planning on buying some things here so she could fit in. She told me her mom had told her not to bring much because Americans wear baggy clothes. She commented that she hadn't yet seen anyone dressed in baggy clothing. I guess hip-hop and R&B are very popular there.

I laughed that they thought the entire American nation dressed alike in baggy shirts and sagging pants!

I have a feeling we will have several more of these moments over the next few weeks.

Oh, she also wanted to know if even girls wore back packs at school. I told her of course, everyone has to carry their books. She said in her country the girls only have small books and the boys carry their books for them. She won't be seeing much of that here! LOL

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh this is will be a cultural experience for everyone involved! Had she eaten yet or tried another recipe?! LOL!
Hugs,
Robyn

Sherry said...

How exciting for your family! Maybe I need an upcoming event in my life... my house could use a good deep cleaning! Good luck with everything!