Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Reconnecting in San Francisco


2009 is for self discovery. It is a year for claiming my own destiny.

The first thing I did in this journey is make my husband and my marriage a priority. We are fortunate enough to have family willing to take all 5 of our munchkins on little notice for the weekend.
After dropping them off early Saturday morning we headed on west to the bay. The drive allowed us to talk and work through some things that were on our hearts. We arrived to find our hotel right on the bay. Since we couldn't check in yet we parked and began to explore the city.


Meandering around San Francisco in January is a little chilly. That gave us the perfect opportunity to get a cup of hot cocoa in Ghiradelli square. We took the cocoa with us as we sat on the beach and watched a few crazies swimming in the bay. BRRR!!!


Before heading back to the hotel we had a yummy cup of clam chowder.

We stayed at the Argonot. This hotel was all nautical themed. The lobby was great with a fire, comfy chairs and even a sail boat. Our room was lovely. The king sized bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in at a hotel.


We didn't stay long after checking in. We had things to see. This time we headed straight for Pier 39. The cold weather wasn't keeping anyone away. We saw and heard people from all over the world. I love the diversity we have in California!

Meandering through the many shops left us cold and hungry. Dinner was at Bubba Gumps. That brought some good and bad. Bubba Gumps is all about the shrimp. I LOVE shrimp! But I am also allergic. :( I was good and had a steak. It was yummy! Aaron of course had shrimp. I was jealous but whats a girl to do.
After dinner we headed back in for a movie in the hotel. I stayed true to me and fell asleep 10 minutes before the movie ended. I wonder if I will ever see the end of a movie!

Sunday morning we took our time getting up and checking out. Then it was back to the wharf for some fresh mini donuts and a Bay Tour. I had never done a tour before. We really wanted to do an Alcatraz tour but they sell out pretty early. The Bay Tour was 1 hour long sailing around the bay. We went under the Golden Gate Bridge, saw Angel Island and around Alcatraz before coming back to dock. What a great tour! I loved all of it: the corny recorded narration, watching the tourists with all their cameras, taking great pictures and sitting next to Aaron.


We finished the day with lunch and began the drive back home. I left Aaron to his thoughts as I slept in the car.
It was a great weekend and a perfect way to start the new year.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

It sounds like a wonderful weekend. I'm so glad you got to go (well, and a little jealous--I MISS SF).

Happy New Year!

Cora Lynn said...

great photos!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a WONDERFUL weekend together. It's nice that you're taking time together! Good for yoU!

Sherry said...

Excellent idea! I wish a weekend getaway was in my immediate future!

Christy said...

What a great way to reconnect and relax. You have had a tough year and I am glad you were able to take a little break from life!