Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Going Green

I have been hearing about green smoothies for a long time. The thought of drinking something green just sounds gross. But after reading this blog http://happyfoody.com/ I bit the bullet and made one for dinner.

I own a Vita Mix and make fruit smoothies several times a week. The kids LOVE them. About a year ago I started adding the occasional carrots and cabbage. The kids know I put it in there and still drink it.

Tonight I made one with a banana, orange, strawberries, pineapple juice, carrots and baby spinach. The result was a green baby food looking drink. The kids looked at it then looked at me. I told them I put spinach in it. They tried it and looked back at me. While you couldn't taste the spinach it really looked quite disgusting. I told them it was either that or eat a spinach salad. They all had refills on their green smoothies.

It feels great to know I had all 5 of my servings of fruits and veggies today. (I ate a pound of steamed asparagus for lunch. YUM!)

I will definitely make more green smoothies.

2 comments:

Kristen's Raw said...

YAY for green smoothies :) I love the story about the kids...giving them the option to drink that or eat spinach salad - haha.

I like to think of the color as something very "cool" like Incredible Hulk smoothie or Swamp Mud! Then, I feel like a superhero after drinking it!

Cheers :)

scrapmomof5 said...

Next time we have a green smoothie I will try telling the kids it is superhero juice! I love that.

Thanks for coming over to comment.