Sunday, October 23, 2011

Sky Diving

On Friday October 21, 2011 I got to mark Sky Diving off my bucket list. I have wanted to do this for a long time.


After signing away my life and all the rights of me, and my dependents on a 4 page long waiver, I got strapped into the harness by my instructor. I shrunk at least 2 inches it was so tight.


Waiting with the girls until it was time to go. (Mariah is the one taking all the pictures)One last picture with the family before I climbed in the plane. Andrew didn't want in the picture, but I caught him before he ran off :)The plane fit 5 of us: the pilot, 2 instructors and 2 students. Here I am on the ride up to 10,000 feet. It took about 20 minutes to get the right altitude. I loved the ride. It reminded me of riding in my Dad's plane when I was litte. Good memories!














Getting out of the plane was the hardest part. I was not scared at all. The wind was so strong that I had a hard time lifting my legs out.








As soon as my legs were out the instructor says go and off we went! It happened so fast there was no time to think.









And then we were free falling. I was surprised at the wind force. As we were falling the wind force was about 130 mph. It was a little hard to breath. They told me before the jump that if I had a hard time breathing to yell as that helps to get the air out. So that is what I am doing in most of the free falling pictures.





I think this is my favorite picture from the free fall. I was loving it.











After 30 seconds of free fall the shute went up. It felt as though we were being pulled to a complete stop and then slowly we began to glide in circles back towards the airport.









Taking hold of the parachute. I got to steer for a little bit.
















Floating down. What a view of Moab, Arches National Park, and Canyonland. It was beautiful.




Getting ready to land.





After a safe landing (on my butt!) it was great to see the kids run out to see me. What an awesome welcome back. I was relieved to land and only ended up with one bruise, a rather large one on my leg. I can't wait to go again! Who's going with me?





Here is the video of the jump if you want to see it. http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fw8Cr454nAg












3 comments:

Wendy said...

Hey! I forgot you said you were going to do this! And I think I missed that you were doing it in one of my favorite places in the world!! The pics are awesome. I'm glad you had such a wonderful time!

Beth said...

I love the pic you do of having a great time. I super love the last one too---it's kind of a "Yeah, I kicked butt" Independence Day kind of shot. ; )

Melanie said...

YOU'RE BRAVE!! So awesome that you got such great pictures and video footage!! And such a gorgeous place to do it!