Sunday, October 9, 2011

Ice Skating

September 23, 2011
My sister and I took our kids ice skating. Most of the kids had not been before, the rest had only skated 1 or 2 times. We went at the perfect time as there were only about 20 other people on the rink. That is great for beginners.
Here is my crew at the end, plus an extra friend.
Parker only skated for about 30 seconds. He did not like the lack of control. He spend the rest of the time walking from the entrance to the benches to the time out section.


Mariah did great. She got right out and was able to skate.



Caitlyn did not enjoy skating as much as everyone else. She mostly hung by the edge. We got her to use one of the walkers for while so she could out by everyone else. I think she sort of enjoyed herself by the end.




Alyssa is just being silly here. She skates great and had a good time with her cousins and her friend who came with us.


These walkers make skating a lot of fun for kids Andrews age. He had a blast going around and around.




I did pretty well myself. I did not need the edge or any assistance. I got to where I felt confident enough to try some tricks. I could turn in circles fairly well. My sister tried to teach me to skate backwards. This is where I came into some trouble. As I was trying to go backward I did a combination splits and leg turn and fell. On my way down my legs flew above my head and I landed pretty hard on the ice. My toe pick hit my niece on the way down and scratched her up pretty good. I landed on my arm, which started to swell. I was in a lot of pain, but didn't want to scare my niece so I got back out on the ice for another 20 minutes. Then we took the family to dinner. At dinner I was in a lot pain. We ended up going to urgent care. Good news! It was not fractured but the bone was bruised. My arm was a nasty shade of green from my wrist to halfway up my upper arm for over a week. I am still in some pain, but it is healing.


I guess I am too old to learn new tricks!
















No comments: