Friday, March 13, 2009

New job, new house, and our move

What a few weeks we have had!

Over the years Aaron and I have had several discussions about moving to Utah to be near my siblings and his sister. The discussions usually ended in 'NO, Way'. Niether of us really wanted to live in Utah with the snow, being surrounded by mountains, away from friends and family we have here. Plus I had the store and he had his job.

Then I closed the store and Aaron lost his job. After looking for work for the past 8 months I did get hired on at Walmart here. I even started orientation last Friday. But we were feeling the pull again toward Utah.

So we packed up this week to go for a visit. While there things were falling into place. We looked at some rental houses and found a HUGE 7 bedroom, 3 bath 3,300 sq foot house for half of what we are paying in CA. See how open the living area is? And the kitchen has so much more storage than what we have. Downstairs in the basement is a large living room and 4 bedrooms. We will have kids rooms, excercise room, craft room and study! So we signed a lease starting April 1st!

Then I found a job in Utah!!!! I am so excited!!!! I had applied at a few various places and then as I got an email from one of my favorite online scrapbook stores I noticed the address was in Utah. So I filled out their contact me form with a plea for a job. I got a reply! They said they found my resume 'interesting to them' and they wanted to talk. I met with the owners on Wednesday and talked for 2 hours. We discussed the current trends, my experience and what I could offer them. They wanted me to join their team! I came back Thursday and they offered me a job. The pay is better than I was getting here in CA @ Walmart and the job is so much better. They are anxious for me to start. In order to help them out sooner they are flying me out next weekend to run a scrapbook Expo! I am so excited! I get a steady paycheck, flexible hours and get to be involved in the scrapbook business.

Aaron still has not found a job but has been able to make many contacts. Fortunitely the IT field pays the same in UT as in CA. We are confident that he will be able to find something soon.

While in Utah we visited a great friend and her 3 daughters. I also got to go out to dinner with an awesome gal and her family. I met Heather almost 4 years ago when I attended a convention in Provo. I can't wait until we move and we can scrapbook together! We also saw lots of family. I loved watching Parker kiss baby Taitt, Andrew play with his baby Ben, Caitlyn and Emalee running off together, Andrew and Hadley holding hands while walking through the temple, Alyssa getting all of the kids together for games, and the kids playing in the snow. I am going to love have family to get together with. Before leaving we stopped at the kids new school and got them enrolled.




So now we are frantically packing and finishing many tasks. We move the 1st of April! Aaahhh!!!

13 comments:

Jessica said...

I am so excited for you!! It is going to be an amazing move - and it is very obvious that Utah is where God wants you to be!! Good luck with packing, I am sure your so anxious to start the next chapter in your families life!!!

Shane & Amy said...

What exciting news!!! We are so happy for you guys and it sure seems like things have fallen into place and some prayers have been answered! That's great about the job and the house. I'm sure Aaron will find something soon. That's going to be so fun for the cousins to play with each other and for you to be around some of your family! We're happy for you and your family!

Melissa said...

I am more jealous than I can possibly say. How is it that out of eight kids raised in California I am the only one left here? They are hiring teachers out there too and laying off here. Now if I could only get Kevin layed off/fired maybe I'd have a shot at moving out there=).

Unknown said...

I am so happy for you Helen! I think you will learn to love the snow. It will at least give the kids a lot of work in the winter:)That is a great house! That is wonderful that you get to work where you love. Which store are you going to be working for? I have friends who are very into scrapbooking and they might end up as your customers. We are excited that you will be nearer. We might get to see you a little more than the once ever few years we were able to get to CA. Congratulations!!!!
Shay

Sonia said...

Hey Helen,
It was great seeing you guys last week. We're excited to have you guys moving out soon. It's only 2 weeks away now . It's crazy how quickly time flies when you're packing and relocating. Our kids can't wait to have your kids over. Tell Mariah that she owes me a rematch at Foosball. Our house is always messy but if you don't mind, you're always welcome.
Sonia

Robin Michael said...

I have been missing you and will miss you even more when you leave the state. I hope this is exactly what your family needs! Thanks for keeping me in the loop and I hope to see you before you take off. Love, Robin with an I

Anonymous said...

HOLY MACKERAL! WOWEE. What a change! Good for you all!

Christy said...

I could hardly believe it when you told me about this. I am very excited and very sad. I know we didn't get together all that often (maybe once a year) but it was always comforting knowing you were there. Now you won't be and that is sad. But I am excited for your new adventure and the house looks AWESOME! Are you actually going to be in Kelly's ward?

Flem said...

Where is this place? It looks great!

Caity Sue said...

OHMYGOSH!!! Does that mean you won't be coming to work with me :( :( Did you let Janice know so they could pull the background check?? I'm just stunned but it sounds like everything is coming together for you and your family so that makes me happy for you.

Wendy said...

Can I be the first to say, YIPPEE!!!

I know that half of the family does not agree with me on this one. You'll be missed very very much.

But we, on the other hand, get the good end of this deal!

Unknown said...

Helen! I am excited for you. I was at one time the first response on here but I either deleleted or did something wrong that it didn't go up!
I can't believe it...well yes I can. Family is important in the end..isn't it! Have a blast and see you at your going away party!
Hugs,
Robyn

Dorothy said...

wow that was fast!!! ive been out of the loop for too long. im gonna miss ya. this was just the jumpstart you, arron, and the kids needed. good luck and good health. Utah is beautiful in the summer. i love Moab.Later skater!!!!